Submissions are now open for the Senate Inquiry into the Provision of Childcare in Australia (until Friday, 30 January 2009).
To coincide with this, our featured forum of the month for January 2009 is "Childcare in Crisis".
It sounds dramatic, but is there really any other word for it? On December 11 2008 UNICEF released "The Childcare Transition: A League Table on Early Childhood Education and Care in Advanced Countries", in which Australia ranked twenty third out of 25 countries, meeting only 2 of the 10 benchmarks set.
Following the collapse of CFK and ABC Learning Centers in November, it seems clear the corporate model of childcare provision is deeply flawed.
Participating in the Senate Inquiry into the Provision of Childcare in Australia is your chance to directly influence the future childcare policy.
Open Forum is happy to be able to provide a non-partisan space for its readers to discuss the childcare crisis and share their ideas about how we should be moving forward. We will then present your ideas as a submission to the Senate Inquiry into the Provision of Childcare in Australia.
Open Forum makes it easy for you to have a say:
Leave a comment in the section directly below
Read one of the related blogs listed below as part of this forum and leave a comment
Feel strongly? Write your own blog!
- Is consumer choice in the private childcare sector real? Are parents making decisions being based on ideological considerations, or is it simply a matter of finding a centre reasonably close to home which has a space available?
- How did you decide where to send your kids?
- What level of qualifications should we expect from childcare workers?
- In contemporary Australia is childcare a choice or an essential service?
- Is it possible to provide top quality childcare within the commercial model? Or are not-for-profits the only way to go?
- Are you a childcare professional? We'd love to hear from you, whether you work in family daycare, community based childcare, or a for-profit centre.
- In the past few months there have been many instances of Grandma and Grandpa coming to the rescue. Are you a childcare volunteer? We'd love to hear from you.
- Has your childcare situation been directly affected? How have you managed?
There's only a short window of time to get submissions in to the Senate Inquiry - so do it today. It's as easy as leaving a comment below.
Open Forum will compile all your contributions and submit them to the Senate Inquiry into the Provision of Childcare in Australia.
For more information or any questions about participating with Open Forum, please email email@example.com
'Childcare in Crisis' Topic of the Month is supported by Global Access Partners (GAP), www.globalaccesspartners.org
RELATED BLOGS & ARTICLES: